The International Sailing Federation (ISAF) and Rolex has announced the Nominees for the ISAF Rolex World Sailor of the Year Awards 2012.
The nominations for the 2012 Awards have been received from across the world for sailors who represent all aspects of the sport. The nominees are put forward based on their achievements made during the period of 1 September 2011 and 31 August 2012. Only one nominee from each category – male and female – will win.
The names competing for the prestigious 2012 ISAF Rolex World Sailor of the Year Award are:
- Ben Ainslie (GBR) – Finn – London 2012 Olympic Gold Medallist & 2012 World Champion
- Mathew Belcher & Malcolm Page (AUS) – Men’s 470 – London 2012 Olympic Gold Medallists, 2011 and 2012 World Champions and 2011-2012 ISAF Sailing World Cup Champions
- Nathan Outteridge and Iain Jensen (AUS) – 49er – London 2012 Olympic Gold Medallists & 2011 and 2012 World Champions
- Loick Peyron (FRA) – Outright Around the World Record
- Tom Slingsby (AUS) – Laser – London 2012 Olympic Gold Medallist & 2011 and 2012 World Champion
- Támara Echegoyen, Ángela Pumariega and Sofia Toro (ESP) – Women’s Match Racing – London 2012 Olympic Gold Medallists
- Helena Lucas (GBR) – 2.4mR – London 2012 Paralympic Gold Medallist & 2011-12 ISAF Sailing World Cup Champion
- Saskia Sills (GBR) – RS:X – ISAF Youth Sailing World Champion & European Youth Champion
- Lijia Xu (CHN) – Laser Radial – London 2012 Olympic Gold Medallist
The winners of each category will be selected by the ISAF Member National Authorities (MNAs), the national governing bodies for sailing around the world. The MNAs are invited to vote for the male and female nominee they believe most deserves the Award. The winners will be announced at the ISAF Rolex World Sailor of the Year Awards presentation and dinner on Tuesday 6 November 2012. The event will take place in the Mansion House in Dublin, Ireland.
Source: International Sailing Federation www.sailing.org